Thursday, August 1, 2013

Scraps Of Elegance August Reveal



Here in the South it sure gets hot and humid, and the only way to make it through the Summer is lots of Icecream!!!  So, when I saw this month's Scraps of Elegance Kit, I couldn't help but fall in love with all those candy sweet and Icecream treat colors and frosting!!! Can you say we all scream for Icecream??!! 



Along with every kit, you get a gorgeous and inspiring sketch created by our very own, Suepup. Here is this month's sketch, and I have to say it is spun sugar heaven!!



The following is my take on the sketch. When I saw the little cat's eyes glasses in the kit, I immediately thought of a photo that used to hang in my Uncle Ed and Aunt Jean's house when I was a little girl, of their daughter Lisa wearing, yes, cat eye glasses. I have a photographic memory and I tend to remember life in pictures, and so my first thought was, I wonder if that photo is in my Granny's old photos that she had stored in her hope chest, and did it get scanned to disc when my cousin Becky went through them? Sure enough, I pulled out my disc of my Granny's photos, and  there it was!! So, here is my sugary sweet, whimsical take on that photo:


I used layers of kit paper, tissue covered, and stamped cardstock, "sugared up" corrugated board and pieces of the lace from the Embellishment, and punching, add on to create lots of dimension and texture.


I then did some stencil work with modeling paste, and some stamping with puffies, that was really hard to get to show up in the photos, but is there. I misted the little glasses and inked them, then covered them with Diamond Glaze from a past kit, and then added some of the pink bling that was in the kit to the edges. 


There is lots of layers of flowers that I puff paint edged. Some of the flowers are from the kit, embellishment add on and past kits. The bling pieces were from my stash.  The Spun Sugar Glitter Glass Butterflies were created just for this kit and can be found in the kit, or in my Reneabouquets Etsy Shop.


Here you can see some close ups of all those "sugared" edges I created with German Glitter Glass and the Stickles that were in the kit. 

Up next, I have one of those little altered "nook" boxes that I love to do. I just love cubbies and places to tuck in treasures, so this little box allows me to do that. 


I first gesso'ed the whole box just to give the paper mache a protective coat and to give me a nice base to start layering in all the papers and techniques that I like to do. I took 3 different layers of papersfrom the kit and add ons, distressed the edges and layered them on the top of the box. I then did a pleated strip down the side, and stamped the background paper with a little Prima brick stamp. I cut some of my stash Tresors De Luxe lace down to size and added it to the top and to the bottom of my layers. I then fussy cut out the Eiffel Tower from some of the paper, and added on flowers from this month's floral add on and a couple from my stash. I then fussy cut out a little bird and then a tag, and then some lettering from other papers and layered those on and then added a little metal key and rose for accents.


I covered the back of the box with more layers of this month's papers.


I stamped and then inked the "binding side of the book, and then took an old cabinet handle that I had from where I changed out my cabinet hardware a while back, and painted it with pink acrylic paint, than dabbed it with gesso, then painted it with some silver Glitter Glam. I love how shabby and yummy it looks!!


For the "page" sides of the book, I techniqued them with modeling paste to resemble book pages, and then went of them with some of the silver Glitter Glam that I used on the handle. A sweet, hand dyed seam binding bow holds the book closed. 


 On the inside, I created some little nooks and then added little treasures to them, by fussy cutting out some of the papers and layering them with little accents and then adding them to the papers with foam tape for dimension, and adhering them to the nooks. 

So Shabby, so Chic and so FABulous!

This next project is an Icecream Parlor Mini Album that was inspired by a childhood memory. When I was a little girl, we didn't have a lot of money, and some of my fondest memories with my Mom, are of her and her sister Dot taking us to the Kay's Kastle Icecream parlor with my little brother and sister, and us just giggling, eating icecream and watching the red light change in our small country town. I tried to capture the feel of that old fashioned shop, while capturing that soft Shabby look that I love so much.


The cover of the album is acrylic, and I first painted it with white gesso then "sugared" up the edges with hand tinted German Glitter Glass.


I distessed and added a layer of paper, then fussy cut out the awning and sign on one of the pieces of paper and distress painted a chipboard sign post , attatched it over the sign and added a little pink rose from the Flora & Fauna add on, and a miniature Kiss of Teal Butterfly from my Reneabouquets Etsy Shop.


I fussy cut out the little ice cream stand, and girl from more of the papers, layered in lace, and some stash flowers with hand stamped and fussy cut leaves. The little pearl flourishes are from my SB.com friend Donna (aka 48FiveTime). Thank you Donna!! The fuzzy beaded trims are from my stach and I created a little icecream "sprinkles" bottle by taking a stash Tim Holtz bottle, filling it with hand tinted German Glitter Glass, topping it with a rose from the kit, and putting the little letters onto it.


Here you can see the dimension of my mini that I tied together using a sheer bow.


The inside pages are filled with lots of layers of the kit and add on papers, as well as the little sentiment pieces from the kit, stash laces, and chipboard pieces.  




The left page features a tag pocket with little painted and "sprinkled" pull out tags.


The piece with the alligator clip and detach, and rolls out for extra journal or picture spots on the backsides.


Those little "parlor" chairs were created using some past kit chippies that I shortened the legs on and then painted and blinged up with glitter and crystals.


All the little tags were hand distress painted and then I applied large flake glitter for a "sprinkled" look. 
Some of the little icecream pieces were actually stickers that I just couldn't resist buying a couple of years ago and came out of hiding when I saw these papers-lol!


And this is the back side of the mini!!

I was really happy with how Icrecream gorgeous this mini turned out! OK now, I am wanting icecream~again, so I just sent my son to Dairy Queen for a triple chocolate Blizzard-lol!! He should be back any minute now, so I better scoot!! Thanks for stopping by for a peak at my reveal projects, now go get yourself a bowl, cone or 1/2 gallon and dig in!! Hugs, ~Renea


2 comments:

Desire Fourie said...

Stunning creations with awesome textures and designs. You are so talented.
Hugs
Desíre
{Doing Life – my personal blog}

Sandi Clarkson said...

Wow! So gorgeous!