Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Carousel Horse Mini Altered Book Box

Good morning everybody, and Happy Wednesday! We are half way through another week, and today I would like to share an altered project. It is a Mini Altered Book Box and uses four different stamps from The Rubber Cafe and some of the Scraps Of Elegance Kit pieces from this month's gorgeous kit-Swan Song. It may be a small project, but it features lots of technique work and layers.

 I painted the entire box with white gesso, and then went over the gesso with layers of Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet Stain. I then cut out the top layer for my box from a piece of Pink Paislee paper from the Scraps of Elegance Kit, and distressed and stained the edges with some more of the Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet Stain.


 I then cut out a bottom layer from the kit paper, and then cut out a second layer using a Spellbinder's Fence Die, slitting the posts and curling them to varying degrees. I then layered on some of the yummy Vintage look trim from the SOE kit.


 I took The Rubber Cafe Carousel Horse Stamp, stamped the image on to plain cream card stock using Mixed Media Inks Truffle Ink. Then colored the image in, using Tim Holtz Distress Markers and Smooch Pearlized Paints. I accented the image in places using The Rubber Cafe, You're So Fine Glitters in the following colors; Bronze Metal, Terrifically Teal, Copper, and Princess Pink. I also added Viva Pearl Pen Accents on the flowers and harness, using the following colors; Pearl and Teal. I tied layers of ribbon onto the pole of the image and added a Terrifically Teal Jellie Dot for accent.


 On the bottom of the front of the box I punched strips of the kit paper with a Martha Stewart Punch and then layered some more of the kit Vintage look trim to the bottom. I then took a piece of plain white card stock, stamped the word Vintage onto it using the "Vintage Sentiment" from The Rubber Cafe's Vintage Treasures Stamp Set, cut it out with a Spellbinder's Fancy Tag 2 Die , and then inked around the edges and added some Rubber Cafe Cotton Candy Jellie Dots for accents.



 To create the look of well aged book pages, I layered on layers of modeling paste that I texture brushed to create the look of the pages. I then stained the pages with layers of Tim Holtz Antique Linen and Vintage Photo Stains. I made the book closure, by hand dying seam binding, attaching it to the book box and tying a bow.

 For the back of the box I grunge stamped the entire surface with the postcard stamp from
  The Rubber Cafe's Vintage Treasures Stamp Set, and then distress crackle painted it in places, to give the look of a much loved, well worn book.

For the binding on the book, I stamped pink crepe paper with The Rubber Cafe's Flat Wing Butterfly Stamp, and using  Mixed Media Inks Truffle Ink. 
I then adhered it to the back of the book in layers, using Scrap Happy Glue.

Once finished, I have a beautiful little book box to store treasures, keepsakes and photos in, plus a beautiful decorative piece for any home. Thanks for letting me share this project with you! I hope you find the time this week to create something beautiful for yourself! ~Renea

The Rubber Cafe Items Used To Create This Project:
Vintage Treasures Stamp Set
Flat Wing Butterfly Stamp
Carousel Horse Stamp
Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet Stain
Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Stains
Scrap Happy Glue
Mixed Media Inks Truffle Ink
Cotton Candy Jellie Dots
Spellbinder's Fancy Tag 2 Die
Terrifically Teal Jellie Dot
You're So Fine Glitters in the following colors; Bronze Metal, Terrifically Teal, Copper, and Princess Pink
Lil' Inkerz
Stick Em' Up

Other Products Used:
Prima Fairy Belle Paper
Pink Paislee Papers
Aqua Vintage Look Trim
Hand Crafted Flowers
Paper Mache Box
Martha Stewart Garden Gate Punch
 





4 comments:

Amanda Aveiro said...

WOW! Renea beautiful!!! What a work of art.

Cheryl (C Mom Go) said...

This is gorgeous Renea. I love that stamp. You colored it perfectly. This whimsical box is an excellent treasure to have.

cnelson said...

BEA*U*TI*FUL!!!

ingrid said...

wow! this is one gorgeous book box!!! LOVE IT!! xxx