Monday, August 15, 2011

Happiness Is An Unexpected Hug!

I have to admit when I first got this month's Scraps Of Darkness  kit, I had a hard time changing gears.  I have been in a very grungy, artsy mood here lately and I had to step back and take a breath. I broke out my Romantic Homes Magazines, took a look at how I came to decorate my home, which looks so much like this kit, I scoured my Tea Party Books, fixed my hair, and put on makeup-anything that put me in touch with my feminine side, and then let the mojo flow. The following is  this month's Sketch, by the so very talented, Charlotte (aka Suepup):


The following is my take on the sketch that features a sweet photo of my son when he was around four years old, and one of his friends, Jennifer. Jennifer adored my son and she just couldn't help but give him a big squeeze! I just love a great big, bear hug myself, but there is something so sweet, and spontaneous about children, they just have to express what they are feeling in the moment. I think we adults could learn a few lessons from them!





I started with one of the soft green kit pps for the background. I loved the Ivy paper, but it was just a little too dark, so I gesso-ed  it by taking the gesso and rubbing it on with my fingers, so that I could leave, spots of the darker color and blend the other sections in. I then cut a square out of the center of it, to make it into a frame and scalloped, inked the edges with the chalk ink from the kit, and water distressed the edges. I then took a pink kit pp and punched it to make the inside design of the frame. I took a damask piece of kit pp and fussy cut it out for the strip beside the photo, cut a rectangle out of another kit pp, distressed and inked the edges and then hand stitched some x's onto it. I used the same pink paper to cut a circle from and then added some stash pearls for accent.




I had some chipboard windows that a friend from SB.com, Cindy Gay had sent me. I painted it with white crackle paint, and then took the pink Mica from this month's color add on and rubbed it into the cracks. I used a twig from one of my trees and created a little "nature scene" using a nest I fussy cut from one of the Webster's journaling cards from the Romance Add On, and a little bird and coating them with UTEE. I took a small piece of ivy from my stash, and some of the little white roses from the Flora & Fauna add on, that I tipped pink with the beautiful pink mica from the color add on and tucked them in with the nest and bird.


I attatched some of the Pink Prima Flowers from the Flora & Fauna Add On at the top of the circle and at the bottom as well. I cut apart the ZVA bling from the kit and popped a piece at the top and corner of the photo and one at the bottom, and added some Magical Pink & Green Butterflies from my Etsy Shop. I took some stash rub ons and rubbed them onto the photo for an added touch of detail.

I created a sweet banner by taking the journaling cards from the Romance Add on, cutting them into triangles, decorating them with stickles, and letters,  to spell hugs,
pleating tissue paper for the insets, and adhering them to hand died seam binding and creating bows to match. For the finishing touches I added some little pearl pieces to the inside of the frame piece, and printed out my journaling "Happiness Is An Unexpected Hug" and attatched it to the bottom.

I hope you get to experience the joy of an unexpected hug this week, or better yet give one! Huge Hugs From Me To You! ~Renea

2 comments:

Esther said...

Another gorgeous LO!

Cindy Gay said...

Hey--you used your window! And a sweet layout it is!